phini
Newly Registered

A very tall bamboo screen/hedge

I have a row of PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREA bamboo growing on a slope of which the base is chalk with loads of top soil. They are growing very vigorously but have been sheding yellow leaves nearly all the year, messing up my lawn, have to rake it sometimes twice a day. Could this be due to:- too much water (unlikely this year) too little water, over crowding or what? Any ideas? Is there an expert out there? Please help if you can.

femlow

I'm no expert, but bamboo is very hardy and can withstand a good bit of water and drought. Mine occassionally dropped leaves when it wasnt getting enough water (it was bone dry for quite some time, and it got black spots before dropping leaves), and they should be able to handle a pretty good variety of conditions. They also wont send up shoots any closer than it healthy for them, because they wont crowd themselves out (and bamboo can tollerate being very close together). Is your bamboo getting new growth too? or is it getting bare with all the leaves dropping? Have you fertilized? Any other signs of distress? Yellowing of leaves is normally (certainly not always) caused by too much water, too little sunlight, or lack of nitrogen. I sounds like too much water is not the problem, and probably not too little sun if its on a hill, which leaves nitrogen deficiency. If you havent been fertilizing, then I would suggest picking up something high nitrogen (a normal lawn fertilizer is good, or if you go organic rich compost, seaweed fertilizer, or fish emulsion are good. You can check the organic forum for more ideas.) How long has your bamboo been planted? Is it new shoots that are loosing leaves, older ones, or all of them?

phini
Newly Registered

femlow wrote:I'm no expert, but bamboo is very hardy and can withstand a good bit of water and drought. Mine occassionally dropped leaves when it wasnt getting enough water (it was bone dry for quite some time, and it got black spots before dropping leaves), and they should be able to handle a pretty good variety of conditions. They also wont send up shoots any closer than it healthy for them, because they wont crowd themselves out (and bamboo can tollerate being very close together). Is your bamboo getting new growth too? or is it getting bare with all the leaves dropping? Have you fertilized? Any other signs of distress? Yellowing of leaves is normally (certainly not always) caused by too much water, too little sunlight, or lack of nitrogen. I sounds like too much water is not the problem, and probably not too little sun if its on a hill, which leaves nitrogen deficiency. If you havent been fertilizing, then I would suggest picking up something high nitrogen (a normal lawn fertilizer is good, or if you go organic rich compost, seaweed fertilizer, or fish emulsion are good. You can check the organic forum for more ideas.) How long has your bamboo been planted? Is it new shoots that are loosing leaves, older ones, or all of them?
Is this where I reply? I am new to this site.
It is hard to see if it is new or old ones that are dropping leaves, but I guess it is the older ones. I planted then two years ago but they were huge when planted. I have not fertilized apart from some miracle grow a few times when I watered them. I will fertilize today. there are no black spots. Thank you for your comments. Julie

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”