Cheebaa

Maple Tree Germination

Hey Guys,

I recieved some maple seeds from a friend a while ago and after looking up some information I found that the germination takes a while.

So when is it ok to start the germinating? I hear the seeds must soak in water for two days, then in a bag of soil closed for a few weeks, then that bag should be placed in the fridge for a few months, then it should be potted and it should sprout..

Sound like a reliable method?

Any tips/suggestions will be helpfull

Thanks

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I should think that if you plant the seeds outside either in a pot or just in the ground that they will have germinated by next spring. Around here, maples grow like crazy.

femlow

The idea is to simulate what conditions would be like if it was left in nature. As long as it gets cold in the winter where you are, then opabinia's suggestion is probably easiest. Soaking it and sticking it in the fridge and all that is just to make the seed think that it was winter and then that winter is over, but if nature will do that for you, why bother with the extra work?

peachguy

Around here they seeds fall to ground in may and germinate around june so I wouldn't even worry about fooling it or leaving it outside for winter I would just try and put it in some dirt right now. I saw this happening all over my garden because we have a maple in our yard and the seedlings took over my vegie garden.

Cheebaa

Thanks guys,

I'm going to put some outside and also germinate some indoors and we'll see what happens.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That's the way to go Cheeba! Try different things and see what happens.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”