Bluewillow
Newly Registered

Twisted Hazel.

I was wondering I am looking to buy a Twisted Hazel and was wondering what sort of conditions do they like and do they need to be moved into a green house or shed over the winter for protection? How big do they get also?
I love gardening but have never had one of these,would you recommend a plant?
Any help would be great.

Thanks. :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are talking about the one also called corkscrew hazel or Harry Lauder's walking stick, right? I'm not sure where Telford is - there's one in Pennsylvania, US, but I'm guessing you are in Shropshire, UK? And you have relatively mild winters?

HL Walking Stick is hardy down to US zone 4, which means it tolerates temperatures down to minus 30 degrees F (-34 C). Probably you never see cold like that, so your contorta will be fine staying out for the winter. Part of why people grow the corkscrew hazel is for winter interest in the garden. The plant looks a bit scruffy when fully leafed out and is only in its glory when all those twisty stems are bare.....

Bluewillow
Newly Registered

Hi rainbowgardener yes you are correct I'm in Telford Shropshire.And again it is the corkscrew plant I was talking about so you have given me great information thanks.
Can you suggest any other plants that are interesting and different as I like different.lol

Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting plants is kind of a broad question... other shrubs? how much room do you have? is it mostly sun or shade?

But in the meantime, I thought this was kind of a fun list of more unusual things to grow in your garden:

https://www.birdsandblooms.com/Gardening/Top-10/Themed-Gardens/Top-10-Unique-Plants

From their list: I love the more romantic name of amaranth-- love-lies-bleeding. (If you like romantically named flowers there's also kiss me over the garden gate [persicaria orientalis], love in a mist [Nigella damascena] and of course forget-me-not.) Amaranth seeds are an edible grain that is higher protein than most grains.

The elephant ear is available in variegated versions with white markings or in an all black version or black with prominant white veins. And elephant ear root is actually taro, a tropical tuber staple food.

Bluewillow
Newly Registered

Many Thanks you have been agreat help Rainbowgardener I will have a look at the website you have mentioned with freat interest.Watch this space for more questions. :P

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”