mahemoff
Newly Registered

Removing grass growing through Prostrate Juniper

we have a very large expanse of Prostrate Juniper (Juniperus squamata Prostrata as ground cover) that now has (Rye & other) grass growing through it, very difficult to get to the grass to manually remove without damaging the juniper. Is there a chemical alternative that will kill the grass without harming the juniper? or other means to clear the grasses (& some weeds)?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

To my knowledge once you put down a spray it might become airborne and damage any woody plants. You can try putting down a weed barrier but it will be work maybe not as much as pulling up the grass and then mulch it over but grass can still come up through the weed barrier but not as much. Some will say to put three inches of mulch but that may not solve the problem only give you bigger grass clumps.

applestar
Mod

I can't picture how these junipers grow -- do they ever set down roots from the branches? Do you have multiple main trunks/plants?

My idea is to use a slim profile weeding hoe (like Swan neck or Coleman hoe, maybe Action hoe) or possibly a sickle (but that'll take a careful manipulation not to sever or damage the juniper) to scrape or cut the grass close to the ground, then to push cardboard under the juniper to smother the weeds. Larger pieces would be better but multiple pieces could be used between plants -- just be sure to overlap all the pieces. You could spread decorative mulch on top and keep adding to the mulch (all at once or gradually depending on your budget) until the mulch is thick enough to discourage any more weeds. After that, just keep ahead of new seedling weeds.

pondlady

There is a product on the market that get only grass. I know it sound s crazy, I thought so to. I was so overrun with grass in Everything I decided to give it a go!! Grass Getter! One ounce of it with one ounce of crop oil and BOOM all the GRASS was gone in a few weeks. The Flowers and shrubs never missed a beat.
I do not like to use chemicals and I don't unless I am forced into it for whatever reason, as I was in this case. I have never been sorry I did. I would recommend it to anyone fighting Grass in there flowers, shrubs or trees. I keep a bottle on hand all the time. If I see grass where it is not wanted I zap it with Grass Getter before it get out of hand. A little goes a long ways. IMHO

nebraskannie

Getting older and stiffer, we have begun using cardboard or layers of newpaper under a lot of plants that are hard to weed under. We cover that with some natural mulch like grass clippings or leaves, depending on what is appropriate. it takes a long time for the weeds to become a problem, saves on water, and our backs. We haven't had any problems with mold or mildew, etc., either.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”