Tinirae
Newly Registered

Majestic Pine

Hello,

I'm from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. While wondering through the woods with a little boy I work with, we encountered at Pine Sapling (no more than 12 inches tall). Before I could stop the child he pulled the pine from the ground. I believe it's a Majestic Pine, because it has long needles (but I'm very unfamiliar with pines). It pulled out with a few roots, but unfortunately the main root snapped off. Instead of just tossing it aside to die, I brought it home to attempt to save it. Being that I'm unfamiliar with pines, I have no idea what to do with this little guy.

Please help.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You will know in a couple of weeks if you saved it. Sorry never heard of a majestic pine but most pines on the east coast have long needles each one is different based upon the whorls and the friableness of the wood.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Don't know Majestic but if it came from woods around Harrisburg chances are it is Pinus strobus, or Eastern White pine. Count the needles in a bundle of needles; if it's five, it's white pine.

It needs soil from where you got it from; pines are VERY dependent on mycorrhizal associations, fungi in the soil that symbiotically bond with the pines helping give them air, water, nutrients and an extension to root mass of 3-4 times. Your little fellah will NOT make it without this help.

HG

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

How is it going with your pine?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”