Just Getting Started

Cutting back Holly Bushes

Is late Fall an OK time to cut back a Holly Bush? I have two of them that are looking kind of thinned out and not as many leaves on them as the other Holly Bushes that are near by. I was thinking of cutting them back so that new growth comes in the Spring. Any ideas?

Just Getting Started

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It depends on the type of holly but yes pruning in the fall or winter will induce new growth in the spring but you might also want to lay down some fertilizer by digging a trench around the base then laying down the fertilizer since you indicated they were kind of thin but remember you'll have to look at them all winter.

applestar
Mod

There is a pruning book by an author who lives in Pennsylvania. I can't remember the name of the book or the author at the moment :oops: but I like him because his recommendations are usually pertinent to my area (as opposed to an author who lives and gardens in California, let's say).

He recommends pruning hollies after frost and freeze, with best time being early December -- just in time to make holiday decorations (I usually make wreaths and swags) -- AS LONG AS the branches are not frozen (I.e. daytime temp should not be below freezing). **NOTE that this timing probably won't work for folks further south -- you may have to wait until a little later**

Just Getting Started

You mentioned that I should fertilize the Holly Bushes. What type or name of fertilizer should I use?

Just Getting Started

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

By the fetilizer best for hollies. Have it at Lowe's. Don't ask the help they are probably clueless. Espoma holly-tone. It is smelly so don't do it in your Sunday finest or you'll be sleeping in the garage.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”