Dead Rabbit
Newly Registered

living hedge fence

I'm tossing around the idea of living fences. I know its an old english practice.

any thoughts and/or opinions on this. suggestions?? from what ive read osage orange would be a good prospect.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It is deciduous and has a long history and is native to the area around Arkansas. Indians used the wood to make bows and it is a good burning wood resembling oak. If you have squirrels they don't eat the fruit but go for the seeds. It has thorns so if you have choldren that might be a problem but the fruit smells like an aorange but is actually in the Mulberry family. It might be of winter interest.

Dead Rabbit
Newly Registered

thanks for the info Bull, any suggestions on seeds, or slips? or perhaps another type of tree to use. the search ive done makes it sound like in 3 yrs you could have a tight hedge, about 4' tall. but the OO sounds to be very invasive, could become a problem

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Well I plan on lining my lot after I build with Hawthorn but I don't have kids mainly to keep the deer at bay. I've always liked how Hemlock looks but they can be trimmed back in the spring to put a kink in their girth and they look great in the snow. A lot of people like Arborvitae but I am not one of those people because snow damage can make them unsightly. Depends how high you want them to be. You could always plant grapes and make some vino in the fall. I've seen property lines with BridalWreath Spirea or any deciduous that grows upwards of 5-6-8 feet. Viburnum too. It all depends what affect you want to have but most like forsythia, lilac, or mix and match, etc. will give you pruning work in the fall/spring except Hawthorn. Them's thorns are sharp. now one plant that everyone will chastize me on are Nandina and I have hedges on both property lines and yes they seek like crazy but no one has outlawed Redbud and they seed like crazy in NC. Nandina are great winter viewing plants as well.

Dead Rabbit
Newly Registered

ill have to reserch most you mentioned b/c I'm not familiar with them. ive read some on the hawthorne...

the nandina isnt a bad idea, mainly cause I have them growing at front of my house, and they multiple and grow send shoots up from the roots like crazy. I rip and dig them out evrey yr just to control them...problem with them is deer love them and will keep them ate waaaaay down.

my idea was a hedge fence to contain horses. reckon I shoulda mentioned that before hand it might have changed some of your recommendations some. thanks.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Once the Hawthorne grows you will not need a fence for the horses. You might try lining out stoock first, put them in one gallons, then after a year transfer into 5 gallon then plant two year later.

applestar
Mod

Have you seen Ozark Lady's thread on the same topic?
Now WHERE was that?

...Ah HA! fount it!
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166432#166432

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”