katerina 13

shrubs in pots - terrace

I have a difficult issue.
I have buy a cottage in the town in Athens GREECE three years ago.
I want to put shrubs in container/pots on theterrace/flat roof.
I want to find (three) good choices shrubs suitable for the conditions in Athens.
hot weather every 3-4 years, with temperatures of 40-44 C.
every 5-7 years have snow for 2-7 days.
very strong winds 3-7 times a year.

help me.

katerina.
Last edited by katerina 13 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Snow does not necessarily mean cold under 32 degrees so I would look for plants that are native to South & Central America or Africa. One plant that you might want to look at is crapemyrtle hardy in NC that will take some cold. They have dwarf varietes. Or explore nurseries online that are based in Northern CA to see what they suggest. Or go to perennials.com to see what they might suggest by putting in relavent information.

katerina 13

Snow mean cold ~ 5 to 0 degrees .
very scarce under -2 degrees.

Hardiness Zone for Athens - Greece is = 9

I saw the crapemyrtle . [url]https://www.google.gr/images?q=crapemyrtle[/url] . looks like a shrub-tree and big .

the basic idea is for terrace , containers with shrubs .
for terrace/flat roof the crapemyrtle is good choice ? some other shrubs ?

but , I want help . I am a beginners to gardening .
I started three months ago.

Thanks you.
Last edited by katerina 13 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Are you looking for evergreens? There are a number of dwarf evergreens, though I can't advise you on what would be suitable.

How big a container and overall height x width were you thinking of?

Any thought to edibles? What about superdwarf nectarines or citrus? Figs? Grapes (you'll need an arbor or trellis)? Avocado or Biwa? Heh, how about Italian stone pine (for pignolis) -- I wonder if they can be kept in a container... I believe they grow rather slowly?

katerina 13

container ,I am thinking height ~80cm width ~80cm for everyone.
if I need larger container , ok I will put larger container .

My fear is not dry in summer. heatwave 40-44 degrees for 7 days it is a big problem. I fear too the winter freeze . snow on the plants for 2-5 days it is problem. Did I do wrong ? (Sorry, but I'm beginner)

The third fear is my terrace/flat roof. I imagine the life for the shrubs will be difficult. basic idea is to put many shrubs on the terrace/flat roof. for beauty and shade.

I want to find 1-5 different shrubs/bushes suitable for terrace .

katerina

applestar
Mod

Your concerns are valid, the containers usually need to be thoroughly watered at least once a day, sometimes twice a day during the hot dry season. My impression is that most successful container gardeners have a drip irrigation system set up. As I understand it, because of the frequent watering, they need to be fertilized often as well.

I'm not fond of container gardening; because of that, I never really got into container gardening enough to set up an irrigation system. That said :wink: I put my container plants directly on the ground in the grass. The contact with the ground helps to mitigate extremes in moisture levels and the grass helps to shade the containers to keep them from getting too hot. The earthworms have free access to the containers and help to keep the container soil loose and fertilized. (Since you want to put your containers on the terrace my comments will be limited in scope and experience, and may not be entirely applicable.)

In my area, the winter temperatures are too frigid to allow most container plants to remain outside and they are brought inside when the frosty weather approaches (which is very soon). But I have citruses, pomegranates, and avocados trees and a mango tree grown from seed, as well as pineapples grown from tops of the fruits. I also have a number of apples trees. Of these, of course, only the the pineapples are sure to produce clone fruits of the mother fruit. Others are being grown mostly for fun and experiment. 8)

katerina 13

I will put a drip irrigation system . an automatic watering system. so the watering frequency and watering will not be a problem.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Capremyrtle come in dwarfs get no taller then 2 feet and they will withstand your weather. Bloom for about a month plus. Might want to look into gardenias as well.

katerina 13

thank you very much bullthistle.
Capremyrtle is beautiful . I will search about this .
but I Want to have other 2-4 good options .

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You might also want to look at Dwf. Jp. Maples.

Check out https://www.vasilakos.gr

katerina 13

I went to the advanced search engine for plants
and put the following :

USDA Zone Number: 9 (for Athens)
Perennial Height: medium
Sun Exposure: Full Sun
Care Level: Easy
Plant Uses & Characteristics: Drought Tolerant + Evergreen + Containers

and made the following list:

Total Results: 13

Erysimum (2 Hits) Helictotrichon (2 Hits)
Hemerocallis (3 Hits) Lavandula (4 Hits)

Euphorbia (1 Hits) Lychnis (1 Hits)

is some suitable for a terrace?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I thought you were looking for shrubs? None of these are shrubs.

Not familiar with the wall flowers/erysimum. The blue oat grass/ Helictotrichon is a very nice ornamental grass that should withstand your conditions. The daylilies/ Hemerocallis are very tough and hardy and pretty when blooming, but most of the year won't look like much. The non-blooming part of the growing season, you will have a pile of long strappy leaves and in the colder part of the year the whole thing just disappears.

Lavender seems like an excellent choice. Just don't make your soil too rich. This and the blue oat grass like a poor, sandy, lean soil. Needs to be very well drained. It is a perennial/herb that gets very shrubby, especially in climates like yours where it doesn't die back so much in winter. Flowers through a long season and you can havest the lavender for all kinds of wonderful projects.

Rosemary and sage/ perennial salvia would be other good choices for shrubby herbs. You could go with the culinary sage or with ornamental salvias.

Some actual shrubs that would work in your hot dry conditions include:

barberry, boxwood, texas scarlet quince, various dwarf junipers, spirea, lantana,

katerina 13

Oh. I was wrong.
This search engine not have click/choice for shrubs. Ignorance of the begginer.
I looking for shrubs. "study" of the above you wrote.

I Want to have other 3-5 good choice/options for shrubs.
What would you choose as the best(or good) 3-5 options shrubs? (terrace - Athens)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

katerina 13,

How about Pomegranate?

Norm

katerina 13

Pomegranate is tree or shrub ?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

katerina 13,
Pomegranate is tree or shrub ?
I suppose it could be considered either a shrub or small tree. You should be able to keep it within your limits by pruning.

[img]https://lh5.ggpht.com/_kh4-EXnR4jA/STd3M94micI/AAAAAAAAE-E/-9QWEb-DhPA/s512/IMG_1394.JPG[/img]

[img]https://lh3.ggpht.com/_bH1A4rxZDTE/R0B6_rQQyfI/AAAAAAAABy8/qt7CH-9ffC4/s512/IMG_5264.JPG[/img]

Norm

katerina 13

very interesting. Thank you. looking and reading for this.

But I Want to have other 3-5 good choice/options for shrubs.
What would you choose as the 3-5 best(or good) options shrubs? (terrace - Athens)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Please do look at the site recommended earlier in this thread: https://www.vasilakos.gr

Often, the only difference between a small "tree" and a "shrub" is the way in which the plant is pruned and trained. That is what the photos of the pomegranate bonsai demonstrate.

Vasilakos is based in Greece; he will surely know which of his plants will do well on a terrace, in a container.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

katerina 13 wrote:very interesting. Thank you. looking and reading for this.

But I Want to have other 3-5 good choice/options for shrubs.
What would you choose as the 3-5 best(or good) options shrubs? (terrace - Athens)
You have asked this question twice since I gave you my answer:

Some actual shrubs that would work in your hot dry conditions include:

barberry, boxwood, texas scarlet quince, various dwarf junipers, spirea, lantana

Google them, look up images, see what you think. Check local nurseries and see what is available.

katerina 13

Thank you. just looking for something more. I google them.
Again, thank you.I might get more views of other members.
Thank you.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”