Manix5

How to trim a Palm Tree for Indiana winter

Hi, I have a Palm of some kind that I have had outside all summer. I live in Indianapolis and there is a possibility of frost tonight, so I need to bring it indoors on my back porch for the winter. I was wondering how far back I can cut the leaves or could I just cut the tree top off and hope it will grow new ones next spring. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Brad
[img]https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/Manix5/IMG_0334.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It doesn't look like a palm tree. It looks more like a yucca plant to me (possibly Flaccid leaf yucca ... Yucca flaccida ... but I'm not at all sure of the species.) Compare it to these potted yuccas.

Many yucca species are quite cold hardy, but they need the insulation of the ground around the tubers. I think your potted yucca would be better off spending the winter indoors, in the brightest light you can provide. It would probably do best with some supplemental lighting. Be sure to reduce the amount of water it gets indoors. It won't be able to use as much, since it won't be in strong sunlight. Indoors during the winter, allow the soil to dry down to about 1/4, or even 1/3, the depth of the pot between waterings.

[img]https://jimsanswer.com/landscape/plantnames/groundcover/Yucca-plant1.jpg[/img]

Manix5

Thanks for the reply, but I have several Yucca plants in my yard and this isn't one of them. It does not bloom and flower like the others do. This is a tree of some kind.

Manix5

After doing some research I called my Dad who bought the plant. He said it was called a Spike - I Googled Spike Plant and it appears this is Cordyline Australis.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”