tlp473
Newly Registered

Should I prune the top of this seedling?

Hi - I planted a Maple seedling (I think - lol) this spring, it seems to have survived, but the top has no leaves. Not sure if I should let this continue as is, or prune the top?
[img]https://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad351/tlp473/IMG00856-20100926-1847.jpg[/img]

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

From a distance it looks like a maple and sure why not prune the top back but that might produce a Y in the tree which will weaken the tree over time.

Mini Mango!

Hi there!
I would leave it as it is. Because, or from the top it might continue growth or from on of the sides.
I had the same with my oak seedling. I had two branches, both tops looked dry. One top started showing leaves again, but other branch not - it started its own branch on the side!

So there you go - you never know how it might turn out! So give it some time. Have patience and hope for a gorgeous healthy maple tree! ;)

Happy autumn gardening!!

MM

Pineville

Nothing good can come from leaving the dead portion on your maple. Cut the dead part off. Next spring when it pushes new growth you should remove all but one of the new leaders. The tree will grow straighter if you maintain a central leader, and will have a better shape as it matures.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”