Just Getting Started

Does anyone know anything about Kwanzan Cherry Trees???

Does anyone have any tips for me about Kwanzan Cherry Trees? I bought 4 from Willis Orchards on-line and from what I read these are easy trees to grow. If anyone has any Tips for me then please pass them on here.

Thanks,

Just Getting Started

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If I am not mistaken you may have to watch out for borers, but other then planting them correctly, make sure the top of the ball is flush with the soil level around it, tamp the soil you refill the hole with down and water and try to keep them out of a windy location, as with most trees, and you shouldn't have problems. They will not need staking unless in a windy location and enjoy the spring bloom.

yama

Hi
tent catapilar often attack cherry tree.
Cherry tree need 40 feet x40 feet when mature. You can't prune much, if you prun, branch/trunk bleed and make it urgly to see.
Often fungal/bacteria desies enter from wounds and kill the tree matter of time. Cherry tyree are short live tree 60 years or so. some cherry tree has long life 200~300 but not many exsit.

General speaking, Cherry tree can take wet ground, clay soil, need full sun, its roots are shallow, if you planting near fundation, walk, concreat are lifted,, mowing around cherry tree, you will scrape top of roots.
Oshima cheryy, youshino cherry, kanzan, higan cheryy are large cherry tree.
Amanogawa, Okame cherry are up right from. Yamazakura/Fuji zakura are small trees. Some cherry bloom one after, twice year, spring and fall,
Gyokui has avocad color flower.
Since USDA ban to import from cherry tree from Japan. Only dozen or so cherry tree exsit in US while we have 300 or so cherry cultivars.

Oshima cherry 's young leaf can be eat, also preserved in salt and make cherry bloosam tea for weding .
I hope you have at least an acre of land for 4 cherry trees. :D
yama

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”