ejimenez
Newly Registered

HI, I AM LOOKING FOR HELP WITH MY DYING TREES

:cry:

I planted oak trees about a year ago, they survived winter and deer attacks with the help of a plastic, expandable cover on their trunks. I left for the 3 summer months on vacations and came back to dying trees. When I removed the covers I realized that animals were invading the trees and that they had wounded them (cracks on trunks). They turn brown and the leaves fall but the trunk seems to be alive still. What can I do to save them? They seem to have been invaded by fire ants under the plastic. This was not only a huge investment because they line the fence of my 12 acre property but it hurts to see them dying. Help!!! Montgomery TX

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Fire ants mostly eat other insects, so I'd look closely to see if there is some other insect causing the damage.

If you want to keep the ants off your trees, there are several things you can do. Coat the base of the tree with a thick ring of petroleum jelly; the ants can't walk through it. This may need to be renewed every once in awhile if it dries out. Find the colony and pour boiling water into it. Make a ring around the tree with water with peppermint extract added to it. Make a thick ring around the tree with something powdery -- chalk, talcum powder, baking powder, etc. Clogs up their spiracles if they try to walk through it.

Let us know what you try and how it works for you!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”