ktjohns
Newly Registered

Shrub ID help: Pic included

I passed by these shrubs that I pass by a lot on my way home but this time they seemed to have bloomed with the cold weather that came into Wisconsin. The plant stood about 6 feet high and was pretty wide and seem to be doing very well in 50-60 degree weather. I have been looking for plants to include into my uromastyx lizard diet and would really appreciate some help on this one thank you.

[img]https://img810.imageshack.us/img810/8471/dscn3140.jpg[/img]

microcollie
Green Thumb

That's polygonum cuspidatum, (japanese bamboo or japanese knotweed) which is definately not something to include in a garden. It's a highly invasive thing that multiplies quickly by underground rhizomes. It's on no-plant lists in several states.

ktjohns
Newly Registered

Oh oh! I don't think the couple that planted these knew this. They are just an old couple who probably like the height of them for privacy.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Big problem over here in the UK too.
Folk planted it as a rather lovely garden plant ..not realising how invasive the retched stuff can be.
Some local councils are having to spend a small fortune trying to control its spread.
They have fouind the best control is to cut the plant low down...and pour neat roundup...( Glyphosate ) down the hollow stem.
It can take a couple of treatments but it does work eventualy.
Digging it out can be difficult as the roots can be very deep and spread far and wide.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”