dearmad

Problem or not? Wounded? Plum tree- green gage

Hi again,

This greengage appears to be overall doing alright- except for at the graft connection there's some sap leekage. Was just at the connection and now there's a little above that. I don't think it's bored, as I checked the upper sap drop here and peeled away the bark a bit- all underneath was still green and healthy and alive- so I'm a little stumped. If there's borers working their way into this young (4 years?) tree, can I do anything?

I've begun a serious neem oil treatment program for it, hoping it can work its way in systematically and kill whatever is going on in there if it's a pest- if it's a wound from squirrels bugging it at the base (lots of squirrels in neighborhood) then that'll be different.

The thing that's weird about this is I see no larvae evidence, even though this sap at the graft is a classic sign of plum borer... Could it possibly be physical stress or something?

Maybe it's just an exit wound of a plum borer and painting the trunk at this point will help protect from being reinfested...

Anyone with some experience or thoughts on this? I love this tree a lot and have high hopes for it.

close up:

[img]https://www.applesnake.net/oddstuff/sap1.jpg[/img]

overall shape of tree:

[img]https://www.applesnake.net/oddstuff/sap2.jpg[/img]
[/img]

JONA878
Greener Thumb

As you say dearmad....it looks more like were some insect or beastie has caused a puncture wound to your tree and caused the sap to run.
If the tree looks perfectly healthy underneath then I don't think you have anything major to worry about.
Plums do ' leek ' often and its a very effective protection that the tree lays down ....that's why if you have to prune a plum tree its best done while there is a good sap run so that the resin can protect the wound.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”