dearmad

Tree ID please? (two photos- miniature/weeping)

Hi,

New here. Hopefully someone in this forum will enjoy a plant ID post.

I would like to know what this tree is- I know it's a weeping something or other, but I've only known it since the summer so didn't see blooms, and don't really see any "fruit" developing...

Anyone?

overall:
[img]https://www.applesnake.net/oddstuff/Imgp1805.jpg[/img]

close up of leaves:
[img]https://www.applesnake.net/oddstuff/Imgp1806.jpg[/img]

Thanks for helping!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

First of all you should clean it up. Prune it in the fall and cleanup around the base. Although the leaf structure isn't clear it could be either a crab or a cherry, althougth the form reminds me of a mulberry but it isn't. I'd say it's about 20-25 years old and it would fetch a steep price if someone had a Vemeer. It is a shame it was allowed to deteriorate. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Pineville

I'll take a stab at it: Weeping Cherry 'Snow Fountain'.

dearmad

I bought my house a few months ago. The house was left unnoccupied for more than one year before I arrived. The owner who abandoned it had built up considerable plant specimens around the house but placed plants very badly. These two factors mean the "gardens" (they were more like crowded plants everywhere) are disastrously in need of help. I have already spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours working toward repairs of the landscaping.

As there are likely to be five distinct gardens when I am done in a few years, I cannot get to it all at once- this tree happens to be the next in line for me as it's too close (2 feet) to a crab apple that is going to stay put.

I am doing this inventory as carefully and rapidly as I can so that I can make decisions on how to dispose of or treat or nurture or move each plant in order that their futures are best served.

I am off to the nursery now for more work on identification.

Oh and just to share the pain, there is another almost identical one of these growing 10 feet from the one I photographed, but I've identified it already- it is healthier and bloomed and had fruit on it- so it was easy.

Thank you and pineville, otherwise, for the possible leads.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If it is a Weeping Cherry "Snow Fountain," [url=https://www.willisorchards.com/product/Weeping+Snow+Fountain+Flowering+Cherry?category=279]this is what it may look like[/url] in bloom next spring:

Pretty stunning! :D

Edited to add: in my Internet search, I also found mention of dwarf specimens of this variety being available, so you may have either a standard or a dwarf tree. All of them looked incredible, with the classic cherry-blossom, five-petal beauty. Even if they're some kind of crab-apple, apple blossoms are also white with pink tinges and five petals.

Cynthia H.
Mod

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”