Lain2
Newly Registered

Choosing Trees

:?: I have a bit of a problem. I live in Zone 5, have a full sun location. I have planted two different types of trees in this area, Magnolia Sweet Bay and Serviceberry Autumn Brilliance. I thought the Magnolia was getting too much sun, (leaf burn and leaf drop), so I moved it and it's very happy now. Then I tried the Serviceberry, the same thing happened. I asked a friend and he said my neighbors crabapple has crabapple blight. My Husband wants to put a Red Oak there, but will it succumb to the blight? I'm running out of space to move another tree. Thank you for any suggestions and advise. Lain2

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Lain,

What's crabapple blight? Do you mean fireblight. Maybe cedar apple rust? Are there cedars nearby? Cedar apple rust only effects trees in the Malus group. Oak is Quercus.

This site lists many of the diseases that oaks are susceptable to at the top of the page.
https://ohioline.osu.edu/b614/b614_26.html

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

The trees that have succomb to blight:

were they in a shaded or high moisture area? Do you live near an ocean? What are the characteristics of the areas that you planted them in?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”