YoungGardenr87
Newly Registered

I need help identifying this tree-like shrub please

I am re-doing our yard and I want to dig up this shrub that is blocking the front window. However, it is such a great plant and I would rather plant it somewhere else than trash it, but I need to know what it is to see if it can handle full sun. Right now it is in light/dappled shade.

It has never flowered or produced any kind of berries, just fyi. Thanks for y'alls help!!

[img]https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i178/htcoleman/Garden/IMG_0085.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i178/htcoleman/Garden/IMG_0087.jpg[/img]

microcollie
Green Thumb

Looks like a rhododendrun, but can't say what type without a flower. I wouldn't think of Texas as the ideal location, as they prefer moist, humid conditions. They also prefer acid soil (5 to 5.5 ph). Maybe that's why it's never bloomed. It will not be happy in a sunny location.

YoungGardenr87
Newly Registered

microcollie wrote:Looks like a rhododendrun, but can't say what type without a flower. I wouldn't think of Texas as the ideal location, as they prefer moist, humid conditions. They also prefer acid soil (5 to 5.5 ph). Maybe that's why it's never bloomed. It will not be happy in a sunny location.
If that is the case, then that plant is not happy at all in our garden! It was there when we moved, and North Texas is not humid at all, just dry heat...not to mention that part of the garden has little topsoil...after about an inch it is all clay...any suggestions on what to replace it with? Needs to be low-growing (foot or so), thanks!

applestar
Mod

I'm not sure at all, but isn't this Cherry Laurel?
It's not a shrub grown in my area, but I remember a flurry of posts about it from gardeners in the southern states.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It is neither plant as suggested. Rhodys have larger leaves and cherry laurel doesn't get that large and I am searching my data base and haven't found it yet.

planter

Marlin.. I'm not convinced even a better than average nursery could do better than you folks. :cry:

It looks to me at first glance only that it is the healthiest Kalmia I have ever seen. I deal with brown spot and accept it.. sigh.

I expect better from this crew!!! Leaving it as an unsolved just doesn't seem right. :shock:

fannyfarmer

I'll eat my left sock if that is not a red tip photonia. Here is the official description:

The red tip photinia is a popular shrub used as a fence row in the eastern half of North America. The oval leaves of photinia plants start out red, but turn into the dark ever green after a couple weeks to a month. During the spring, the photinia also has small white flowers that produce red fruits, that often last into the winter.

I live in north florida and this is the landscaper's plant du Jour for all new subdivisions. They come in different varieties and some have very subtle red tips, but all will become quite high and shruby, but can be trimmed mercilously(?) and will still thrive. VERY durable! I have moved mine after 4 years in the same place and over 8 feet tall. Just trim the top and roots about 1/3 and lay on the water for the next year and it will take off on its own. Quite pest free, but the roots will wreck your foundation if you don't move it fast......or, if you like it, root the top cuttings and when they are going well....chop it out and keep it out with Roundup. :wink:

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

No it is not photinia. I have them in my yard but I just cannot remember, it happens when we get old. Someday I will but so far everyone has been off base.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I agree it isn't Photinia. There were a couple of those in my yard when I originally bought the place, and I removed them. (They bloomed and my eyes swelled shut. :lol: )

It does look quite a lot like Kalmia, although that is a species I have not seen in RL, so all I've been able to do is examine online photos of it.

microcollie
Green Thumb

Young Gardener, is there a chance that you could post a close-up of a leaf (front & back would be great), and let us know how big the leaf is? There are so many shrubs with a very similar leaf and growth habit that I'm hoping we'll see something telling in a close-up. A leaf bud at the end of the branch might help as well. Otherwise, we'll all start losing sleep over this and then get really crabby. :shock:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Is "Privet" even close? Otherwise, I have no idea.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It took a while. I knew it started with a c but couldn't get it until tonight. Cleyera japonica.

fannyfarmer

Well.....I am putting ketchup on my sock because I have to agree with Bullthistle........Cleyera it is! EEEGad I'm getting old!

YoungGardenr87
Newly Registered

microcollie wrote:Young Gardener, is there a chance that you could post a close-up of a leaf (front & back would be great), and let us know how big the leaf is? There are so many shrubs with a very similar leaf and growth habit that I'm hoping we'll see something telling in a close-up. A leaf bud at the end of the branch might help as well. Otherwise, we'll all start losing sleep over this and then get really crabby. :shock:
Oh my, I didn't mean for yall to lose sleep lol, I've been on vacation so I haven't been able to get back to this...but it seems you all have identified it!! I really believe it is the cleyera, but I will post some more pictures just to be sure!!

Thank you so much, I was just about to give up and chop it down, but I think I'll save it. I bet it will do better with more sun (it's kind of leggy/branchy now bc its shadowed by a privet), once again thank yall!!

YoungGardenr87
Newly Registered

bullthistle wrote:It took a while. I knew it started with a c but couldn't get it until tonight. Cleyera japonica.
Thank you, you saved its life!!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”