Intriguedbybonsai

Ficus tree losing leaves

I recently purchased a Ginseng Ficus Microcarpa. It's soil at the time of purchase was very dry. I watered it when I got home, but not to the point that it drained out through the bottom holes. Just to get the soil nice and moist.

About a week later I've noticed that leaves are found on the floor. Sometimes even by touching it's branches leaves will fall off. These leaves aren't yellow or brown, but green leaves. :o

I keep it indoors by a window to receive light. Is this normal for these types of trees to drop green leaves all the time?

microcollie
Green Thumb

Like almost all ficus, they are VERY sensitive to environmental changes, and will drop their leaves when stressed. This includes changes in light, temperature, soil moisture, and humidity. They normally bounce back in a month or so. (sometimes they will lose almost all their leaves in the process.)
Moist soil, high humidity (misting as often as you can, or a humidity tray) and good indirect light are all needed.
These are most commonly grown as bonsai. Is that your intention? Perhaps someone in that forum might be helpful. If it was being grown as a bonsai and was recently root pruned, this could be much of its problem. (I would hope that a salesperson would consider this when it was sold, however.)
Hang in there and get it on a good watering routine. Unless you see any evidence of insects or disease, it should recover.

Intriguedbybonsai

I bought it from Ikea.(A furniture/home decor store) I know this isn't the best of places to purchase plants, but it looked so nice. That oddly gnarled, and twisted trunk was fascinating. I doubt any of the sales people know anything about the plants that come in there.

It is shaped like a bonsai, but I have no intentions of pruning, or shaping it any further more than it already is. I'd rather just keep it as is, and water it when needed. I had no idea they stress easily.

The label on the pot reads:

Half-shade. Not in direct sunlight.
Minimum temperature 15C/59.0F
Water by immersing into a water bath
Remove remaining water from saucer or pot
Only for decoration, not suitable for consumption

^ I laughed at that last statement...

After doing a bit of research online. Some sites say only water when the soil is dry to the touch. Some say to keep the soil moist. Some say don't over-water or risk leaf drop, and root rot. It's hard knowing which sites are more correct than others.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”