Bea
Newly Registered

Japanese Dwarf Andromeda

Hello,
I bought a Japanese Dwarf Andromeda last year full with beautiful white little flowers. However this spring it did not bloom. (only one little stem had flowers)
I have it on a full sun spot, big container, I water it almost daily to keep the soil moist in this heat. The plant looks healthy, just today I noticed tons of new leaves, yet still no flowers.
I'm pretty new at gardening, I would really appreciate any advice I can get.

Thank you!
Bea.

microcollie
Green Thumb

Did you do any pruning last year? They set their buds during the previous year, so should be pruned just after flowering.
Also, their buds are somewhat fragile. I had one in a pretty unprotected spot this spring that got zapped by a frost just as it was coming into bud. (They also don't like wind) Maybe this winter you can move the container to a more protected spot?

Bea
Newly Registered

I did prune it, but it was my first pruning ever so I might have done a bad job :( On the other hand, it was left outside through the winter, I did not cover it either. No wonder I only had a single stem of flowers and it was at the bottom of the shrub.
Thank you!
I'll make sure to cover it and move it to a protected area this winter.

Bea.

Bea
Newly Registered

Do you have a recommendation for a site where I can learn more about properly pruning? Last year I only cut out the dead steams after flowering.

Thank you!
Bea.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”