BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Searching for more info on Desert Cassia

Desert Cassia "Cassia nemophila Walp"
A building of some sort has this tree/shrub outside in front and I see it everyday driving home. It catches my eye every single time so I decided to look into it a bit more. However.. for some reason there doesn't seem to be much information about it.

I can't be positive that this is the name of the plant I've see coming home everyday but it sure does look like it the needles the little yellow blossoms... something I don't understand though is that the one I normally see has a trunk of sorts making it look like a small tree. But when I look up Desert Cassia on google all the pictures come out looking like a bush without a trunk. I wish I could stop and take a photo of the one I've seen but I'm afraid it'll be illegal or something lol considering the place looks like a business or something :roll:

The way I came up with the name of it was because I had seen one on clearance at Lowes and it clearly stated that it was a Desert Cassia. I am so completely temped to buy it but I have brought home way to many plants already lol plus it looked rootbound and I have had my fill of root bound plants for the time being.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Sometimes I too have difficulty finding information on certain plants. I don't know what you intend to do with the information, but I have found that if a plant lacks any viable information, do some experimentation to see how it grows best. Also make sure you're spelling it right. I can't tell you how many times I've searched for a non-existing plant only to find that the name was spelled incorrectly.

Nevertheless, sometimes there are cultivars of plants that have little information on them.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

There are several species of the Cassia genus, all of which are referred to as Desert Cassia. Some are shrubs, others are trees. Try your search just using the genus name, or search for a list of species and investigate each one separately. :)

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

oooo good idea Kisal! :D I thought being as specific as calling it a desert cassia would narrow it down. I hadn't realized there were more to it then just that since I can't seem to get much info about them at all, but I shall try and try again :P Thanks for the insight :D

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I just searched "Cassia" instead of Desert Cassia on Wiki and quite a bit of information came up but its no wonder Its difficult to find information on it.. Wiki says that there has been confusion about its name and which species actually belong in it. If you read the article even it seems to be confused about the matter lol

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

:lol: Yes, there's always a lot of debate going on about the correct classification for certain plants. And animals, too! The ability to study DNA has really caused some changes. That's why I often feel it necessary to list multiple names for the same plant. I think we're all a bit 'bewildered' at times. :lol:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”