n4f
Newly Registered

Ferns hit by weed-b-gone

New and naive home owner here. My backyard lawn started to develop a lot of weeds, so I bought the weed-b-gone sprayer you attach to the hose. Thinking it would only affect the weeds, I wasn't very careful as to where I sprayed it. I know some of it sprayed on the ferns around the perimeter of my yard. The ferns have been getting progressively more brown the past month or so. We've also had a few weeks of very hot temps (in the mid 90's), so it may be a combo of both.

The ferns are pretty thick, and the ones that are closer to the fence are still nice and green, its only the ones up front that are really brown. Is there any way to save them? Will the weed-b-gone prevent them from coming back next year, or am I just worrying too much?

Thanks!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Lesson learned? It should wash through the soil by next spring but if you want turn under some compost or manure when the affected ferns are in the fall so the ferns spread into optimum soil.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The weed b gone is definitely not good for them. I would rinse the plants an flush the soil as well as you can.

But my ferns are looking pretty brown too. They are getting a bit more sun than they like and it has been way too hot and dry for them.

They should come back from the roots just fine next year (mine and yours! :) )

n4f
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice. I've actually been watering the area for the last couple of weeks with a sprinkler due to the heat wave we've had, so hopefully that's helped flush the weed killer out somewhat.

Like I said, I just moved into the house last August, so I wouldn't have been too heartbroken if the ferns were toast. It would have just given me an opportunity to landscape a bit. However, I have grown to enjoy the woodland feel they give the backyard area.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”