dfeix
Newly Registered

Split Leaf Japanese Maple Tree

I've had a Split Leaf Japanese Maple since April 2000 which had been doing very well. I recently noticed that it was starting to thin out and the branches break very easily. Can some one please help me with this situation. It's very special to the family. After I lost my dad in Feb 2000 my relatives gave me the tree and we had a dedication ceremony in memory of my dad on his 70th Birthday which he was so excited to celebrate but unfortunately he did not make it but we still had a very big celebration for him and the tree was part of it.

Thank you very much

Deborah

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Deborah,

Sorry for your loss. Has anything changed in the environment? Has there been alot of rain, any root disturbance, a tree removed nearby that was shading it? When you say it's thinning out are the leaves spotted or turning a color? Any browning of the leaves?

Newt

dfeix
Newly Registered

I live in the East Coast, Levittown in Bucks County, PA.

1) We have had a lot of rain. About three-four weeks ago there was sever flooding in some areas, which was declared disaster areas but we did not suffer flooding.

2) I noticed just this week, that a root, nice size has surfaced and is now visable which I've never noticed before.

3) My Maple was never fully shaded.

4) There is one area particularly where the leaves are totally gone, it is one big empty spot.

6) The leaves on the branches that have not died yet are still red, some are green

5) I read (on this site somewhere) that Japanese Maples require a lot of water, and some times its a survival thing...where the Maple may take moisture from another part of the tree to survive , so I started watering every day for 15 minutes.

Is it possible that the sever rain we had could have caused the damage. I really hope not, because, by me watering 15 minutes a day, I may have made a bad situation worse.

I would appreciate any advise you could give me.

Thank you so very much and have a great weekend

Deborah

Newt
Greener Thumb

Deborah, it sounds like you are saying that you read the the trees need alot of water so you started watering daily and then there was all that rain. Sounds to me like too much water. If the tree was doing fine for 6 years and then you started watering daily and then it started having problems, it sounds to me like too much water. The root probably surfaced looking for oxygen. This site has loads of info on Japanese maples. Read the FAQ.s and articles on the left.
https://www.mountainmaples.com/WS4D_Cookie=5.24.04_17,39,13_15/index.html

A six year old tree shouldn't need supplemental water unless there is a drought or other environmental conditions have changed to cause the need.
https://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/water/az1298/

Newt

dfeix
Newly Registered

Goood Morning Newt

Thank you for the information. I'm at work now but I'll look at the site on my lunch break.

I never watered the tree everday. After we had all that rain, there was a week or two of very very hot weather in the high 90's the humitity was terrible and I noticed the problem with the tree, then I read the site and that's when I started to water every day. The problems started before I started watering everyday.

My nieces and sister-in-law have the same tree, I talked to one of my nieces a few days ago, they live in New Jersey. She gave me some comfort by saying the same thing happens to their tree every year and every year they think the tree is dying, but it always comes back. I have some hope there. They gave me the tree.

Thank you so very much for your interest and time. Have a great week and a fabulous weekend.

God's Blessings

Deborah

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”