planter

Fall shipped Trees??

I do ALL my mail order plant buying in the spring but thought I would try ordering sumpin for the fall.
I'm just wondering if I should wait? Are they going to send them dormant or in leaf? I am very leary but if they came at just the right time maybe they could settle in before spring.
Any imput? Should I order them or wait until spring? I was thinking Paw Paw if that makes a difference. :?
I am thinking fall could be big trouble and I don't want to make a $100.00 mistake but it sure would be great to have them set a few roots before spring. :(
It would probably be from Miller's or One Green World. One green usually does pretty good but Miller's is the same zone as me I "think" and that might be a benefit.
Thanks....................... :D

applestar
Mod

I believe PawPaws are better planted in spring and some nurseries won't even ship them to you in fall. You can order them but you won't get them until spring planting time.

Likewise, there are trees that can take being planted in fall and ones that can't. Good nurseries will make that distinction. Borderline zone in the northern limit in my experience are better not planted in fall. They need full season of root growth for better chance of winter survival.

When I've ordered trees in the past, container grown plants were shipped after temps cooled down in the fall but before frost. Barefoot trees were shipped after they became dormant. It's critical to note this and source your plants appropriately -- consider the weather/climate conditions in your own garden vs. The source nursery's, AND the states through which the plants will be shipped.

I've ordered from Miller Nurseries (in NY right?) before. They weren't great maybe 15 years ago, but recent purchases in the last 3 years have been outstanding.

planter

Well Apple that was the answer I expected but had not hoped for. The timing would have to be perfect and if "they" waited for the plants to go dormant it would be to late for them to establish even a little before winter set in. Your also right that some nurseries will fall ship the Paw Paw but most won't. That tells me sumpin. :cry:

Miller's is in NY which is a nice zone to zone nursery for me and they do a pretty good job but they will ship in the fall. Miller's also ships bare root and not potted which makes the transition a bit tougher. :(
So all and all I think I will just buy stratified seeds off of fleabay and spend my time digging holes. It's nice to have them ready and I gotta couple of beauties just waiting for plants.

As a side note EBay has White Oak acorns for sale. If I sold them I would make a fortune but for my gardening pals on the Helpful Gardener I would be more than happy to send out a handfull when they drop. :D . It's just hard to imagine selling acorns but I guess one man's junk is another an's treasure... :shock: :D

Apple.. "Rarefinds" Nursery is in your neck of the woods and boy do they send out nicely packaged cool stuff. Have you bought from them?? :?:

applestar
Mod

Sounds like a plan. :wink:

I'm glad you reminded me about Rarefind. It's close enough that I've been meaning to go and check them out, but haven't. I've bought native plants from them when they participate in Pineland Preservation Alliance Native Plant Sales (this year's purchase was several carnivorous plants). I had researched the map routes for stopping there on the way home from another native plant sale in Pa. this spring (Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve), but I had to give up on that idea because my truck was already full! 8) :lol:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”