Hatty324
Newly Registered

Autumn Blaze Maple Help

Bought a house a few months ago. The previous owner had planted a 25' Autumn Blaze Maple in the previous Fall ('09). When planted he laid down a few inch thick bunch of mulch that spreads about 12" from the base of the tree.

Located in the Twin Cities, we had an interesting Spring where it hardly rained April - May. June has been full of rain every couple of days.

I noticed in mid-May that some of the leaves were turning Red and falling off like it was Fall. When this happened I started leaving a hose at the base with a slow trickle of water for about 1 hour a day for 1 week. Since then I have been doing this roughly 1 to 2 times per week.

There are a few branches (especially at the top) that are now void of leaves. Other than that the tree seemed to perform better after watering. What I am concerned about is in the past couple days I've noticed roughly half of the tree has turned a maroon red, the other half remaining green.

I was wondering if this was normal for the first year or if I've got some problems to work out? Anyone have any helpful suggestions? Should I be laying down a specific fertilizer or something of that nature? Should I continue watering like I have been?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not any kind of tree expert, but I have noticed that newer, younger trees tend to get their fall color early (if they are going to, sometimes very small trees just drop their leaves without getting fall color). Trees under stress do the same. Your tree has been through transplant shock and it sounds like some drought stress. (I have no experience with trying to move a 25' tree, but I'm sure it has to be a big shock. Smaller trees aren't set back as much by the move.)

I would keep doing the watering. And be sure you water it very thoroughly / deeply when it is getting ready to go dormant (when ever that is). I don't think you want to fertilize a tree that is already stressed. That just forces new growth. You want it to work on getting roots well established. And if it is going to go dormant early this year, you definitely don't want to be forcing new growth just before that.

Hatty324
Newly Registered

I appreciate the response....I'm going to just continue what I'm doing by watering and avoid fertilizer as your logic makes perfect sense (unless someone else has a different opinion) :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”