all_atv

Specific shade tree suggestions wanted

I'm in need of a fast growing shade tree that spreads out to about 30 ft (at or above head level). And also want one that will not send up suckers all over the place or many seedling sprouts. It dosnt have to be real dense but its fine if it is. I want a single row of a few of them. Water will be readily available, but normally the area is hot and dry. Soil is clay/ sand but I would dig out a hole and fill with black dirt if nessecary (as I have backhoe and soil available). I'm in zone 5 in southeast Iowa. a native tree would be prefered but not nessesary.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The classic native shade trees are maples and oaks. Red maple and 'Autumn Blaze' (freeman) maple are among the faster growing maples, with brilliant fall color. For oaks the sawtooth oak, northern red oak are faster growing varieties.

Other relatively fast growing shade trees include river birch (usually multi-trunked), mulberry (attractive to birds and small mammals that like the berries, but can be pretty messy, don't grow one near where you park a car!), linden/basswood, Eastern cottonwood, or various varieties of prunus - wild plum, pin cherry, sargent cherry, etc.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

How about a locust, honey or black. It is in the pea family considered brittle by some but no more then cottonwood and others and it has fine leaf structure.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I thought about locust for my list, but OP specified not "many seedling sprouts" I think the locust is noted for being kind of weedy and invasive and putting out tons of seedlings?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Normally I'd say yes but if the soil is poor I don't beleive it would be a problem and the black have glorious blooms.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”