Delilah
Cool Member

Rhododendron/Azaleas always look sickly... What's with that?

Hi

I don't think I've ever seen a Rhododendron that looks well...

We have one (actually I think it's an Azalea? Difference?) that produces gorgeous cerise flowers, briefly. Then it reverts for the other 11.6 months of the year to a scraggly open woody thing with a few pale/brownish mottled leaves that look perpetually infested with something or just plain sickly.

In other words, this thing is not attractive 90+% of the time. What gives? Are we doing something wrong/failing to do something right? In my experience they all look this way, but if that's true then why does anyone plant them?

Thanks for educating me... :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

A few things. First azaleas and rhodys are shallow rooted which means their roots stay close to the surface so they dry out faster, secondly they prefer a NW shaded exposure because they have a tendency to get sun burned or in the case of wind, wind burn. Azaleas generally have smaller leaves and some are deciduous. So it's not the plant that has problems it's where you planted them that's the problem so transplant to a more desireable location next fall/winter and they will not look like they are dying and use peat moss when planting because they prefer a lower ph or acidic soil and peat retains more moisture. Sometimes buying at the big boxes the information is lacking on what is best for the plants, that's why they are so cheap.

sweet thunder

Delilah wrote:Hi

I don't think I've ever seen a Rhododendron that looks well...
Then you need to come to my neck of the woods sometime. When I lived on the east coast of the US I felt a little like you do. I thought they were leggy and unsightly with bugs and other problems, but in my current location, they grow everywhere, they're huge, and they're almost always healthy. My city even has a rhododendron festival every April. Acidity and cool temperatures seem to make them very happy. Here they get loads of rain from mid-autumn through late spring, then nothing in summer, but it is always foggy, cool and humid. If you can approximate those conditions, you may have more success.

applestar
Mod

ST, evidently you never visited [url=https://www.tylerarboretum.org/arboretum/gardens-n-plants/wister-plants.asp#rhododendron]Tyler Arboretum in Pennsylvania[/url] while living on the east coast.... Along one trail, there are rhodos with trunks that you couldn't encircle with your hands, and first branches are ARCHING overhead :shock:

As stated, they like part sun though I tend to think morning sun more than setting sun, although they like a good amount of water, they need humusy soil with excellent drainage, heavy clay soils and soggy roots will quickly kill them, and they really need the high fungal woodland soil with lower pH.

sweet thunder

You're right, AS! I'll admit my previous experience was limited, and they were never my favorites, but I appreciate their hardiness here. I can hack them any which way and they keep on growing just fine.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They're beautiful here in Oregon! :)

planter

The Rhodies do great here in Z6b/MA. I have 30 plus of them from 3X3 to 15X15 and growing!! I don't like pruning Rhodies cause if your timing is not quite right you miss a season't bloom.

PS!!! One thing they really like is being carefully deadheaded. I have to many to do except a few anymore but it sure gives you a dense plant. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

bullthistle noted it, but I want to stress: azaleas and rhododendrons REALLY want acid soil (more than slightly acid!). My soil is not acid and I have tortured two rhododendrons to death trying to grow them (they die slowly over a long period of time, just doing less and less well, looking like what you describe). I have finally managed to acidify a flowerbed enough that the azaleas like it.

Some plants prefer acidic soil but will do okay with neutral. Rhodies WILL NOT THRIVE unless the soil is definitely acidic.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”