planter

Magnolia Macrophylla (sp)

I picked up a LITTLE beauty today but I was wondering if I will ever see this 18" Macropyhlla bloom. Not that I plan on kicking off in less than 20 years but I was told to expect old prior to bloom here in Z6.

Can anyone smooth my feathers? Lie if you have to. I'm willing to live on broken dreams for a bit. :D

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Wishful thinking since it is native to Gaston County, NC so you are a bit out of its range but if you have money to blow then go for it. You might get lucky and have it survive a couple of winters but you get a bad one and good-bye. I've had Gerber Daisy survive a few winters here but Mother Nature still dictates the rules. You can try just keep it out of the wind and "This species is often short-lived under cultivation unless its rather picky requirements are met. This tree likes loose, undisturbed rich mesic soil (or mulch and compost substitutes) in full sun or part shade with plenty of moisture. This tree will likely succeed in sites that closely mimic its natural habitat and where it is protected from strong wind which can tatter its large foliage. It can be grown farther north than its southernly range suggests. Water during extended dry periods. This plant is generally problem free."

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”