shaefins

Azalea scale - to treat, or not to treat?

I have an azalea that's kind of gangly and unkempt (was here when I moved in and I basically did nothing with it). I pruned it back a bit the year before last, as one branch was jutting out over the walkway. It flowered the following year (last year), and I didn't think too much about it. I did notice white things all over the branches and figured it was some kind of fungus.

Now I know that it's scale. I also know that the bush bloomed *beautifully* this spring. Great big clusters of gorgeous orange blossoms - it was really something.

My thoughts are, though, that this scale must not be doing too much damage for it to be able to flower that way. Do I really need to treat it?

Also, the bush is sending out decent sized suckers, full of leaves. If I want the bush to fill out a bit, as it's currently rather leggy and misshapen, can I let these suckers just do their thing?

Can someone confirm that next years blooms are already on the bush, so pruning isn't advised any further this year? TIA!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

How large is the shrub, and how bad is the infestation? If it's a heavy infestation, it could eventually kill the plant, especially if it's relatively small.

However, if it's a large and otherwise healthy shrub, it should be able to tolerate a small population of scale insects. I would probably opt for hand-removing them. You don't have to remove them all at once, just work on it a little each day. Just rub them off with your fingers. The crawlers can be killed with a soap solution spray, but the adults are another matter. Once they're under they're protective covering, they're impervious to just about any sprays. There isn't much to be done other than removing them by hand.

I think you might be able to use a soap solution spray to kill the second generation of crawlers, which I think, emerge in July. The first generation probably emerged in early June, so you're too late for them.

The important thing to understand about all species of scale insects is that there will always be a few that are able to survive whatever you spray on the plant, no matter how potent. If that happens, then they'll just extend the infestation over a longer period of time, and the plant may not have a chance to rebuild its reserves to survive the winter.

I don't think we have cottony azalea scale here in Oregon. I've never seen it, anyway.

If you have kids, get them out there squishing scales! :lol:

ETA: Another way to remove the scale is by releasing some ladybugs on the plant. They can be bought online and at some garden centers. :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If I am not mistaken that variety is deciduous on the east coast don't know about the west but shouldn't they try to get rid of the scales once the leaves are off.

DankyDoo

you can use a horticultural oil on the plant the oil will help with not letting them lay new eggs on the plant,and my ag. agent told me that the hort. oil will help suffocate them also. scale excrete large amounts of honeydew, which is rich in nitrogenous compounds and sugars. The honeydew excretion is an excellent medium for the growth of a fungus known as sooty mold. This black-colored fungus coats the top side of leaves, interfering with photosynthesis and makes the plants unattractive.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”