shaefins

Corkscrew Willow Issues

I planted two corkscrew willow cuttings (one golden, one dark, big ones - 6' each, at least) mid to late May. I'd had them in the house since March (got them at a home/garden show) in one gallon water containers. They were doing beautifully. Within a week of planting out, one had turned almost completely black on every stem, and the other was fine. Yesterday when I went to pull up the "dead" one, I saw signs of life, so I cut away all blackened stems and left anything that was still yellow and had green leaves.

I went to check out the other, dark willow, and saw signs of smaller branches on it turning black, so I cut them out as well. It's like the entire branch just turns black all of a sudden. They're also dried out an brittle when this happens.

I've searched on google and I'm not coming up w/ anything solid. Has anyone else experienced this? TIA!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Simple they went into shock. Imagine taking a shower in an air conditioned home then going outside in 100 degree weather. If the first one started shooting up suckers the second one will as well so just remove the weaker suckers and you'll have a multi stemmed tree in the future.

shaefins

Shock...*really*?!?!?! And it looks like that - all black and dead? Wow - had no idea that could happen! I did harden them off over a period of days, but I guess it wasn't enough.

I'm quite pleased to hear it wasn't some kind of fungal/bacterial infection. I'll keep an eye on them and continue to prune off anything that starts turning black. How long does that continue to happen, generally speaking?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

They are relatively fast growers so with a clump they could be two feet next year.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”