Arrow
Newly Registered

Suggestion for a drought resistence,hardi tree for Livermore

Hi,

I've posted the following inquiry within the "lilac" index and later realized that it should be here. Please assist if you can. thanks.

I recently stumpled over this site and was hoping that you could assist.
I have a property in Livermore, CA (zone 9a, I think) and am looking into plants that can be used to line a long asphault driveway. We're up in the hills and have limited well water so sprinkler/drip system is probably out of the question. I've read that lilac or crapemyrtle were some of the more popular drought resistance plants and wanted to get your opinion to confirm. If not, may I solicit your opinion for a tall dome-like tree that will color in the fall. My mother wanted a maple like tree but I fear that water may be a problem. This is a rental property so we're not there frequently to care for it during its most critical stage.

Thanks for your input.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hmmmm... things that color in zone 9 in the fall... pretty small selection there!

Yes, crape myrtle is a good choice.

Lugustrum (doesn't color in Fall, but there is a varigated variety) has a nice shape when permitted to grow as a tree rather than a shrub.

Not sure about drought tolerance, but I found Golden Trumpet to do quite well in Central Florida, and things can get pretty hot and dry there.

Arrow
Newly Registered

Thanks, Grey.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”