ira
Newly Registered

Help I think my Hinoki cyprus isnt well

:D Hi
I just completed a large planting project and am very new at backyard design/caring for specimens
I am not certian if my hinoki cyprus tree is sick
the leaves/foliage seems to have a brown color to the center surrounded by the gold/green color
I have a spinkler system and since were just planted 3 weeks ago have been watering a bit extra in the very hot days
Can anyone tell me whats going on
thank you

Pineville

A photo would help but... Hinoki Cypress will drop their interior foliage as new foliage develops. The dead leaves often build up on the inside of the tree and should be pulled out by hand if it bothers you. If the foliage on the outside looks healthy, you are probably ok.

Be careful with the irrigation system- I have seen more harm than good come from well-intentioned plant enthusiasts who rely on their irrigation systems for their plants. While Hinoki Cypress likes moist soil, it doesn't like wet feet.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Overwatering is a big mistake and I hope you know that when you backfill the hole that the soil should be tamped down with the end of the shovel to prevent air pockets, because that will kill a plant real fast.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”