StaceyP
Newly Registered

Can't believe it! My cedar tree is dying!!!

Only have one tree that gives afternoon shade to the house - a cedar. It has to be about 20' tall; it's loaded with berries, 'needles' are drying up, turning brown and falling off. No evidence of bugs. Cut a dead limb off yesterday and wood looks good.
Would love to save it, any suggestions?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Probaby planted by a bird years ago and normally the life expectency is not that long. Sorry. Maybe when you cut it down you can save some of the wood and put it in your clothes closet.

IndorBonsai

Might need water not sure tho ,, I live in Seattle WA area and yes Cedar trees live a very long time here. A Cedar tree trunk just in my back yard is about 4 foot across, probably take 3 adults holding hands to reach all the way around this tree trunk. I am guessing several hundred + years old and a 100 + feet tall. I have several other Cedars around my yard not as big but still all are over 20 feet tall.

Yes there is something wrong with your tree might be the soil or a climate change ,, not as much rain maybe? not sure, there might be someone local that can help you save your tree.
I heard that Cedar trees were kind of rare in the eastern U.S. might not be true tho . LOL might be just west coast gossip :) Hope you can save your cedar.

I know that my soil is acidic and cedar trees love acid soil, you can try emptying your coffee grounds around the trunk of your tree to help raise the acidity of your soil.

planter

The Red cedars here in Z6 get big and live pretty long but the Atlantic and Yellow don't. Do you know what kind of cedar it is? Must be a ton of them.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”