Vesper

Can I start a new tulip tree from offshoots(suckers)??

In spring 2009 we got a tulip tree and planted it in the yard. Sadly, last fall the tree was murdered by a couple of deer who decided to come along in the middle of the night and chew the tree up so badly that it died. Now within the last few weeks we have been noticing little offshoots(suckers) growing from the base of the dead tree. Here's a pic https://www.flickr.com/photos/17398687@N02/4673544686/

Is there any way I can start a new tree/graft from the offshoots? I do have some rootone if that applies here, but I have no idea how I'd go about starting a new tree from the suckers. Is it possible? If so, how?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Why don't you prune down the main stem and then remove the smaller of the suckers and leave three remaining. The only way to root those is if you can get some roots but I doubt that. Just keep the tree and prune.

Vesper

I don't really understand what you're meaning. The main tree is completely dead. Those offshoots are attached to the trunk.

applestar
Mod

I'm doing the same thing with a Tiliandra. the main trunk has a bad scar on it and the tree is leaning. I'm tired of the mediocre vigor and susceptibilitybto stress. it also grows tons of suckers. so I cut all but 5 to choose from and intend to eventually replace the main tree.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”