TTaylor
Newly Registered

What is this, Tiny apple like fruit

I have a huge tree in my yard that had beautiful pink blooms all over it this spring. Now I have these small fruit all over it seems like millions. It looks like a tiny apple only an inch in diameter and long. Not really round but more oval. Deep red on the outside and very red on the inside. The leaves are long narrow. Any idea what this may be?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Probably crab apple.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Sounds like a malus of some sort Ttaylor.
As a wild guess from the fruit discription look up the variety John Downey.

TTaylor
Newly Registered

Thank you for the input. When researching Malus never came up. So with your help I brought up Malus apple tree and that is exactly what it is. The blooms were wonderful. The tree is larger than normal, it is 20' to 25' tall. With the fruit as small as it is, I would have thought the birds would eat the fruit but they aren't.
Thanks for the help. I definitely won't try a pie. :)

JONA878
Greener Thumb

TTaylor wrote:Thank you for the input. When researching Malus never came up. So with your help I brought up Malus apple tree and that is exactly what it is. The blooms were wonderful. The tree is larger than normal, it is 20' to 25' tall. With the fruit as small as it is, I would have thought the birds would eat the fruit but they aren't.
Thanks for the help. I definitely won't try a pie. :)
Mybe not a pie but they make superb apple jelly and good home made wine too.

LupinePredator

Nevermind - positive ID for me, too. Thanks, everyone! :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”