Mark 999
Newly Registered

Help my Moldy Tree

We have a tree in our backyard that is being overtaken by a greenish-gray mold. We just moved in & I am sure it has been there for a while. We are afraid it is killing it and it is in a great location in our backyard so we don't want to lose it.

Unfortunately I don't know what kind of tree it is, but I have some pics listed in the link below which could help with the problem.

I am hoping it is nothing to be concerned about, but I definetely want to know. Located in TN.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107731967818540907621/MoldyTree#
Last edited by Mark 999 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]How to Post Pictures & Photos on Forums[/url]

HTH! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Some tree experts might be able to ID it just from the shape of the tree, but for most of us, it would help if you would include a close up of the leaves.

The first two pictures are of a branch that came down, right?

I'm thinking it's not mold, but lichen. The lichen do not kill the trees and are not generally considered to be harmful. It's presence there may mean the tree is not doing so well though. Lichen (a symbiotic organism formed of a fungus and an algae) needs sunshine. So it's more likely to appear on less healthy trees that don't have as good a foliage cover. It also likes lots of moisture/humidity.

If you want to get rid of it, you can try spraying with a baking soda solution.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If you have a fireplace that will put the tree to good use. Usually the lichen will spread and you can see it on the main trunk. More then likely the tree is an oak, maple or elm which would be hard to split except when it's below freezing.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bullthistle... sounds like you are saying the tree is dead? Why do you think so. Other than the branch lying on the ground, the tree looked ok. I mean (per my previous post), I understand that the presence of the lichen probably means that the tree is less than thriving. But less than thriving isn't dead/ fireplace material.

You are more expert on trees than I am, but an explanation would help.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

They say that lichen is a sign of good air as it will not thrive in a polluted atmosphere.
We used to kill it on our fruit trees with winter washes but now we are pleased to see it as it gives a winter home to a lot of hibernating predators.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The tree is leafing out in the photos; my (admittedly limited) understanding of non-fruit trees is that leafing = alive. Correct? Why then must it become firewood???

This may be an instance where the OP would do well to find a local, independent garden-supply store/nursery and take a sample of the bark/lichen (or whatever the growth is) in a plastic bag for identification. A good set of photos of the tree, whether on prints, printouts, or electronic device would also be part of this expedition.

Best wishes!

Cynthia H.

Vergil update: max pain meds seem to have grabbed on, but he woke me up twice last night--once at 0245--so today will be weird, at least for me...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Lichens don't harm trees. They've been growing on most of the trees and shrubs in my yard for longer than I've lived here, which is more than 30 years.

They can be killed, but it requires, I think, spraying the entire trunk and all the branches with copper sulfate. I even purchased a bottle of the stuff, but the more I read all the warnings on the label, the less I wanted to use it. I finally just took it to the hazardous waste collection site at the garbage dump.

Mark 999
Newly Registered

I updated a picture that has more detail of the leaves for tree identification, but I am releaved to know that it is lichen. The tree will not end up in my fireplace afterall.

Elm, Birch etc. ???

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It looks to be a hickory and if it was me being in hurricane alley I would cut it down versus having a storm push it down but if that doesn't frighten you then so be it. Any time a tree shows stress because you cannot see the cambium I vote to cut it down. I had someone cut down a tree that looked normally healthy but after it was cut down it was actually hollow on the inside.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”