hoopsbwc34
Newly Registered

Tree budding only on trunk

It appears something has killed our tree... it didn't bud this year. On the lower half of the trunk it is trying to bud, but the branches have nothing. This is the fourth tree we have lost in our front and back yard, so something is definitely wrong. It appears there are some small holes maybe due to an insect right at the line where the budding stops. Any chance to save the tree? Any ideas how we can find this problem and fix it before we replace the tree? See pictures below

[url]https://yfrog.com/0gimg6752ajx[/url]

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Anyone can see why it died just look at the damage the borers came after the fact. Just like humans, if they bleed it takes time to heal and based upon how bad they were hurt, they could just die. You may have a problem with people damaging your trees and except for putting a wire fence around them I see no way to protect except to eduicate the people who cause the damage and in most cases that is a lost cause.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree... it looks like someone backed a car bumper into your tree. Difficult for them to survive that and having a big wound in the bark like that is invitation to all kinds of diseases and pests. Just like if people have a big open wound it could get infected....

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Give it some time and you'll see if it'll survive. You'll probably have to cut the top off and let the tree regrow

hoopsbwc34
Newly Registered

Yeah, I noticed the damage. Initially I thought maybe it was wind damage as we have had some 50-60mph winds here, but it is at the right height that I bet it was a bumper. Should I cut the tree at the damaged line to see if it regrows?

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'd wait a little while before you cut it, just to make sure, and then I'd cut it a little bit at a time.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”