twrh111
Newly Registered

suggestions for quick grow shade trees

I have a one acre plot that my house sits on. it doesnt have a shade tree one on the property. I'd like some ideas for quick growing shade trees that I can plant a row of on my western boundry. any thoughts ? thx, terry

JZydowicz

Some of my favorites:

Hackberry - (Celtis occidentalis) An underrated tree.
Freeman Maple - Common street tree. Great fall color.
Honey Locust - Common street tree. Creates a decent amount of shade without blotting out the sun.
Arborvitae - Great as borders, if that's what you're looking for.

I know this is kind of sparse, but I'm tired and I can't think of others :wink:

Are there any power lines overhead in the planting location?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a few nice native shade trees --

green ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica) :
Use Ornamental: Shade tree, Fall conspicuous, Fast growing
Use Wildlife: Cover, Nesting site, Fruit-birds, Browse.
Use Other: Red ash bark produces a red dye, and the wood ashes are a source of potash. (Kershaw)
Interesting Foliage: yes
Attracts: Birds , Butterflies
Larval Host: Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Two-tailed tiger swallowtail, Tiger swallow-tail, Orange sulphur, Cloudless giant sulphur, Mourning Cloak.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=FRPE

of course the classic shade tree is the oak.

There are many varieties; burr oak is a nice one:
Use Ornamental: Shade tree, Attractive, Fast growing, Long-living. A good urban tree since it is resistant to air pollution and car exhaust.
Use Wildlife: Attracts songbirds, ground birds and mammals. Substrate-insectivorous birds, Fruit-birds, Fruit-mammals, Fruit-rodents, Fruit-deer.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=QUMA2

I just planted a teeny baby one last fall. It is doing well so far, but if you wanted shade any time soon, you might want to start with a more well developed tree :)

linden tree/ bass wood. Also known as bee tree because bees like the flowers and make nice basswood honey from them. The flowers have been used for medicinal teas. Medium to fast grower. https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TIAM

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Fast growing typically comes at cost: usually weaker wood and shorter life. The shorter life issue may not matter for most purposes since almost any tree should live for at least 25 years. Weaker wood may matter if the trees are close to structures, car parking areas or power or phone lines.

Does the area tend to be moist or dry? What is the soil like, e.g. sandy? clay? loamy? What is one the other side of your western boundary? Is there a septic field or a sewer or water line nearby?

JZydowicz

Personally, I wouldn't plant any Ash trees right now. Chances are, emerald ash borer will be in your area within the next 10-15 years, and unless you want to spend tons of money treating individual trees, they'll die.

Also, bur oak is one of the slowest growing trees, so you might want to consider a red oak type if you want an oak that fills in fast.

perkylzd
Newly Registered

What anyone's thought on carrotwood. They grow really fast here in Florida and provide really good shade. They scatter their seeds quickly though.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”