rockrider

Cherry blossom tree appears to be struggling - HELP

Hello Helpful Gardener,

Since I introduced myself in early April, I had designed and planted my garden with some native plants including one peach tree and one cherry tree. I have also started composting piles in two plots of raised beds. I have also learned to use the bio recipe provided here for curing diseases. I have become an enthusiastic gardener, albeit at beginning level.

The garlic soap solution seems to work well except the cherry tree after I discovered greenish worms eating leaves on the still young tree newly planted about 3 weeks ago. One day after I applied the garlic solutions on the tree, some leaves started to wilt and become yellowish. Although the past week we had abnormally hot weather condition which might have contributed to this condition (above 30 degrees Celcius, I have been worried that this might not be the cause since all the other plants and trees are doing quite well. Could it be that the garlic solution might be the direct cause? Or is there anything I can do for my cherry tree? I have been watering the plants every week and started every two to three days since it got hot.

Please kindly help. THANKS!!!

ps: I would like to add that the tree is under sunlight more than 6 hours a day and the soil has good drainage condition.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If it was planted within the last year I wouldn't worry. At dusk spray the leaves with water so it can breathe.

rockrider

Thanks for the advice.
We have had several thunderstorms these past couple of days. I hope that the rain would have washed away whatever remaining residue on the cherry blossom tree leaves.
Just wandering how come all the other trees respond well to the garlic soap solution for controlling worms and insects except the cherry blossom tree. I don't really want to resort to chemical pesticides, but at a loss as to what to do.
Also the strange thing, only the leaves on a few branches wilt, the rest hold up quite well. How come :?:

rockrider

I read a thread at another forum on this site that someone also killed a few leaves of a tree with soapy water. I thin that was somewhat similar to my experience with the cherry blossom tree. I lost patience and cut off the branches where the leaves died. I hope the tree would survive somehow with the remaining healthy looking leaves on the other branches.

Bammbulance
Newly Registered

No need to cut off branches!
:) sorry I cant really help with what is wrong with it, but I wouldnt cut off branches for this reason, the tree will now be trying to recover from its leaf loss and its limb loss, plus new growth should occur on those branches if the tree isent dying.

(Just incase you havent removed them all yet)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”