yelf
Newly Registered

What sort of shrub/ small tree am I thinking of?

Hello. The side of my garden between ours and next doors garden used to have 2 pyrcanthus (don't know how to spell it) what acted as a cover for privacy between both gardens.

They grew too big - were bloody and awful and so I have dug them up. There is now no privacy between the teo. There is a brick wall of about 3-4ft high but thats it.

What I want to have instead is 4/5 shrubs which I can see in my mind: the trunk goes up about 5 foot with nothing coming off it and then it has a nice sphere of leaves.

I saw some young Goldren Cypress and Photinia earlier which looked like they may be right but when I googled pics to see what they look like when fully grown they were nothing like what I had in mind.

Can anyone help please, or could the golden cypress be trimmed like I want?

THanks

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Don't have a clue of what you are thinking about unless you can show us a picture. Anything can be trained by pruning, even potinias, but it is evergreen or deciduous, does it flower and what color. You need to be more specific.

yelf
Newly Registered

[img]https://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/images/Garden/8/8e/Topiary_Tree.jpg[/img]

Like this but growing in the ground.

or this:

[img]https://www.artificialplantsuk.co.uk/5ft-tea-tree-pyramid-inblac.jpg[/img]

I've just learnt that this is called topiary. (I'm not much of a pruner etc)

Which shrubs should I be looking at for this? The first pic is most like what I want.

Thanks

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

yelf wrote:I've just learnt that this is called topiary. (I'm not much of a pruner etc)
I don't have any suggestions for shrubs, but topiary requires regular and rather frequent pruning to maintain the shape. You might want to consider whether you want to invest the time in the maintenance. JMO. :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Find a garden center that sells plants from Monrovia Nursery and you'll find topiary or espaliared plants.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”