hirpowrd
Newly Registered

Magnolia Tree

I live in Northeast Florida, Please help me I have always wanted a Magnolia tree so I bought one and planted it. Gave it some Peter’s fertilizer and water it every other day. It is in a shaded area it has developed white spots on its leaves. Please help me identify what it is and what to do about it?:(

meesh
Cool Member

Are the white spots on the leaves or in the leaves? Do they look powdery? Could be powdery mildew. Occurs with higher humidity, poor air circulation, shady areas, and water on the leaves.

hirpowrd
Newly Registered

It is on most of the leaves. Please tell me If I can do any thing for it if its bad for the tree. It is in a pretty shady area. Is that okay for it. Please and thank you for all you can tell me about it. I can move it if need be. Of course I would rather not it is right in front of my kitchen window so I can seeit when It blooms.

meesh
Cool Member

Compost tea works wonderfully on powdery mildew. Also simple fungicides like sulfur and serenade. Even baking soda is said to be helpful. Powdery mildew is just a surface fungus so you shouldn't need anything heavy duty.

hirpowrd
Newly Registered

Okay thank you very much. Please tell me what compost tea is and/or what to do with the baking soda.

meesh
Cool Member

Compost tea can be as simple or as difficult as you want it to be. There are lots of recipe on the web. Simple is...take a bag of good organic compost and put it in a bucket.( partial of the bag) Pour in enough very hot water to make a "soup". Let this mixture steep, as long as you wish. You can then strain the liquid off and spray it on all of your plants and and ground. Personally I would also add bat guano and earthworm castings to the compost.
As for baking soda, 1 ounce of soda to a gallon of water. Mix well and spray.

hirpowrd
Newly Registered

:D Thank you so very much for all your help. I am new at this green thumb thing. Can you tell me about manure tea? I have a pig and I put his droppings' in a barrel and added water. I am not sure if it will work just as the horse manure did. This has been a great experience you have been very helpful

meesh
Cool Member

It should work the same as horse manure. It's great that you have access to that.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”