Decado
Green Thumb

Plastic Covering Half Of Lilac Root System

So my neighbors had some landscapers come and do some work on their house, and they asked us if they could put rock down on the other side of our lilac bushes and we told them that would be alright if they put it up to the trunks. What they did not tell us is that in their infinite wisdom they put down plastic under the rocks, so now half the root systems of our lilacs are covered by plastic. Is this going to affect the plants negatively? Do I go over there in the night and right this wrong?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Do what you have to but it seems their landscapers were or are clueless but once you remove the plastic weeds will more then likely sprout.

Decado
Green Thumb

So will it affect it negatively? I care not about weeds.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Is this solid black plastic or the stuff with lots of tiny holes punched in it? I don't really like it either way but solid sheeting would be truly awful. If property lines permit the sheet should end many feet before the trunks of your lilacs. Those lilac roots need unfettered access to oxygen and water.

Decado
Green Thumb

No, it doesn't have holes. Ugh.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Cutting the plastic will not be a large job. Just cut around the tree line at the top with a razor blade and then tip the mulch so it falls. Shouldn't take more then 15 minutes.

Decado
Green Thumb

The difficult part will be doing it quietly. I'll have to go over there in the night and rock is loud, I don't want to wake the neighbors because I'm not sure how they'd take it with me disassembling their landscaping.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”