shaefins

Transplanting Wisteria?

I found a wisteria blooming amid weeds on the south side of my garage. I'd love to transplant it, but I'm reading conflicting info on it. Does anyone here have any experience w/ transplanting wisteria? From what I can tell, this isn't a very old plant, as there doesn't seem to be a trunk, just vines growing on what I think is a rose of sharon. If I can get back to the main root, can I just dig it up and move it? I don't want to kill it, though it can't stay where it is now and would end up being cut down. Can I do it now, or should I wait for a different season? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I didn't know that it was possible to 'accidentally' kill wisteria. If I were going to move the plant, I would cut the top off and just leave a couple of feet above the ground. Would then dig up the roots, salvaging as much as possible. Transplant and keep at least lightly moist for the next few weeks. More than likely the plant has many smaller vines coming up, and those will also have some roots. I would pot some of the smaller ones in nursery pots with good potting soil and place in a semi shade location until the plants recover and become well rooted. They would be your insurance just in case the main vine dies. These smaller wisteria plants make wonderful potted showcase plants. We have two on our deck.

This is one of them last month.
[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4488379802_8a3e4b036e_o.jpg[/img]

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Personally I would wait until the fall until it shed its leaves since there roots travel far and wide. Now what makes you beleive its a wisteria since they don't bloom for about 7 years?

shaefins

Bullthistle - It is, for sure, and without any doubt, wisteria - the blooms and leaves are unmistakable. I have no idea how it got there. This is the *very* first time I've ever seen it there. That area has always been a tangle of weeds intermixed with rose of sharon and myrtle. I was farily shocked to see it there.

I'm basing my guess that it's not a very old plant on the fact that there's no discernable "trunk" type of main shoot/stem. I found one woody vine, maybe around 3/4 of an inch thick - no more - that *seems* to be the main shoot/stem, but I won't know for sure until I get in there and pull out the rest of the weeds and unwind the wisteria from the rose of sharon.

I suppose it *could* have been in there for several years, but never bloomed until now? I'll never know for sure. All I do know is that the former occupants of the house next door never did anything with that area, as it's really our property, though it's hidden alongside our garage - they're the ones that see the mess, not us. They wouldn't have planted anything there, and neither did we. We've been here for 8 years this summer.

I understand the part about waiting until fall to move it. However, that area needs to be cleared out *desperately*. I don't know if I'll be able to do it properly and keep the wisteria going until fall.

Alex - that picture is beautiful! How tall is the plant, and how many years did it take for it to flower that way?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The plant was just a whip that came up from one of the roots of the mother plant, but it probably took the plant three to four years to start blooming. It has been potted now for about 10-12 years now. The plant is between 3-4 feet both tall and wide. For the first few years I moved the plant up to larger pots, but for the past five or so years it has been in the same 5-7 gallon container. Last year I pulled the plant and gave the roots a hard prune before repotting. We get a bloom every year except when a late frost catches the plant too late in the season.

Here is the sister plant earlier this spring.
[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2785/4488379178_54fbb44994_o.jpg[/img]

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”