shaefins

Planting out Corkscrew Willows

I bought 6 ft. corkscrew willow starts way back in February. They've been rooting in water in the house since then. When I plant them out, how deeply do I plant the roots?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

What have you been waiting for? You should see the crown of the stem it may be a different color that's how deep you plant the tree and spread out the roots and make certain the soil is tamped down around it after planting, use the end of your shovel and add some bone meal and some manure. You also may want to stake it if planted in a windy location.

shaefins

The ladies who sold it to me told me to wait until at least Mother's Day to plant them outside! I was only following directions! :lol:

I ended up planting a good bit of stem, as they're *very* thin and even with staking, I was afraid they'd blow right out of the ground. There was no discernable crown like you mentioned; these were just branches of a willow that were cut and rooted in water. The roots were in balls from being in gallon jugs. I pretty much just put them in the holes, backfilled with compost and a handful of bone meal, and watered deeply. I have my fingers crossed!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”