wendyd
Newly Registered

Shantung Maple has not sprouted any leaves this spring

This spring, our Shantung Maple tree has not produced any leaves on the branches, although there are lots of leaves sprouting from the base of the trunk at ground level. I pruned those leaves at the base a couple of weeks ago, hoping that would cause the rest of the tree to bud, but nothing has happened on the branches, but tons more foliage has sprouted at the base of the tree. The tree was planted by the previous owners right before we moved in. We were unaware the previous tree needed to be replaced since it was winter during the home buying process. The tree was only about 5 feet tall 4 years ago, with the trunk being only about an inch in diameter. Since then it has only grown about 1 1/2 feet in height, the diameter of the trunk is about 3" now, but the span of the branches has grown very little. As a matter of fact, the span of the branches is only about 2 feet in diameter. It didn't seem like it was growing very fast as compared to my other non-Shantung maple tree which is 7 yrs old, and is about 16 feet tall by 10-12 feet in diameter. So, I just assumed the slow growth was because it was a Shantung Maple which are known to be a smaller Maple tree. But, I don't know why the branches have not sprouted any leaves, does anyone have any ideas?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Normally speaking when a tree sends up suckers without leaves flowing from the branches it means it was winter killed and starting over again. It seems a shame that a tree that size my have gone by the wayside but Mother Nature doesn't take any prisoners.

wendyd
Newly Registered

That's enlightening insight. So, if it were you, what would you do now? If I continue to let the suckers grow, will they eventually create a healthy tree? Do I dig it up and start over with a new tree? Or what feels more right to me, but I'm a novis at gardening so I'm not certain of this, do I wait until next year, and see what happens? Any suggestions?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”