AprilArchambeau

Will these grow? Questions about bare root plants I got too

I bought these butterfly bushes from a store for about $4.50 each, pretty good deal I am assuming, these are the taller purple butterfly bushes, but I planted them a month ago and they've yet to do anything.

Also, I got all of these bare root flowers, I am soaking them in water, alot of them say blooms the first year, will this happen? Also, how far should I plant it? Just to cover the roots? The day lilies look kind of odd, they have a few green sprouts on top but the roots look like mushed wet leaves almost

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It's only a good deal if the plants live. If the roots are mushy more then likely throw it out. Rot. The problem with buying bare root is that proper care is not given until planted. They will dry out twice as fast if roots are exposed to air. Scratch your thumb against the bark, if brown throw away, if green then they will come. Eventually. Plant soil up to the crown of the plant tamp the soil down then water.

AprilArchambeau

Yea the roots were almost like wet leaves

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Bare root what April? Flowers is pretty general so the best we can do with that is make generalized guesses. Names is good, pics are better...

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”