Decado
Green Thumb

New Growth On Rhododendron Withering

So it's been cloudy and rainy these past 2 days, and I noticed today that all the new growth (but none of the old) on my Rhododendron is withering. I can't imagine a half inch of rain would be too much water, so what could be wrong with it?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

A half inch of water wouldn't be too much for a rhodie, unless it was pooled around the plant's roots.

Could you post a picture of the damage? :?:

Decado
Green Thumb

[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/wrathloki/Rhododendron00.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Have you had a hard frost or ice/sleet/freezing rain within the past week or two? My rhodies look like that after going through a patch of rough weather, but they always perk up within a few weeks.

It doesn't look like insect damage to me, and it's kind of early in the year for critters to have caused that much damage, anyway.

The diseases I've had experience with cause drying and browning of the leaves. I guess it could be a disease in a very early stage, but I've never had all the stems on a plant affected at the same time ... usually it's just one or two branches.

Sorry I can't be of any real help to you. :(

uniquegardenplants

Rhodies are touchy when it comes to wet conditions, especially in heavier, poorly drained areas. Kisal is right in that it looks like they went through some rough weather but if they have been waterlogged for several days..that would be the red flag. Just need to let them dry out and look for any signs of improvement in the coming days or weeks. If they continue to go down hill, Phytopthera root rot may have possibly set in and you could drench the soil and roots with a fungicide like (Subdue). It has worked wonders on our rhododendron when these similar symptoms start showing. But I have a feeling that once the soil dries out a bit, they may start perking up without having to run to the fungicide.

Decado
Green Thumb

uniquegardenplants wrote:Rhodies are touchy when it comes to wet conditions, especially in heavier, poorly drained areas. Kisal is right in that it looks like they went through some rough weather but if they have been waterlogged for several days..that would be the red flag. Just need to let them dry out and look for any signs of improvement in the coming days or weeks. If they continue to go down hill, Phytopthera root rot may have possibly set in and you could drench the soil and roots with a fungicide like (Subdue). It has worked wonders on our rhododendron when these similar symptoms start showing. But I have a feeling that once the soil dries out a bit, they may start perking up without having to run to the fungicide.
The soil is actually very sandy with almost no clay so drainage shouldn't be a problem.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

I have no answers to this but the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area did get down to freezing (but not a hard freeze) on 4/8 & 9 following a week of exceptionally warm weather. I don't think they have hit freezing temps since then (although maybe/barely on the 22nd) and damage from two weeks ago shouldn't be showing up just now. My concern as uniquegardenplants noted is that this might be phytophthora. As I recall Subdue and Aliette and both restricted in Minnesota so an unlicensed homeowner isn't going to be able to buy them.

applestar
Mod

OK, so try a fungal AACT or a compost soak drench. Mulch with compost.
From what you said, maybe the soil is too sandy and there's not enough organic matter? Rhodo's are understory shrubs and prefer soil high in composted leafmold, I believe.

uniquegardenplants

Good to know about Subdue being restricted there, didn't know that.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”