marshal
Newly Registered

Cordyline australis

Hi. I have a Cordyline australis thats about 7-8 years old. its grown to about 12-15 feet tall in a SW facing garden in Essex.

Trouble is I has neaver flowered. I understand that when it has flowered its possible that the growing head will split and sprout a second one. I give it some growmore through the summer. and have been told by my local garden centre to give it weekly tomato feed.

the other thing is, the ones on a roundabout near my home obviously get no loving and have flowered!!!

am I doing something wrong....how do I get my cordyline to flower.

failing that will pinching out the tip encourage it to split...if so exactly how do I do that.??????

Thanks

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Trees, shrubs and other plants tend to flower when they are stressed. Now, I am not sure about Cordyline australis but usually you want to have these sorts of plants in the poorest soil possible.

So, ease off on the fetilizer, you may even wish to add some sand (not from the beach) to the soil. Tell you what, search Brian Minter on the internet and ask him, this gentleman is extremely knowledgeable about most plants.

cheers

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”