sammus

Growing plants in the dark?

Hey everyone,

So I have began to germinate several apple seeds and they are now around an inch tall and growing nicely. I was wondering however, would placing these seedlings into an area of darkness potentially aid growth? That is to say only put them into darkness for say every one in five days so that they do not become spindly? I know that placing plants into dakneaa can make them grow taller quicker, if they can see some light, but can this be of benefit to them?

I hope this makes sense and look forward to recieving your thoughts!

Regards,

Sam

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I wouldn't consider it a benefit. Plants that receive insufficient light do grow taller, but their structure is also much weaker than plants grown in good light. I would think it would be important to have the trunk of a tree be as sturdy as possible.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

sammus

Yeah I thought that thatwould e the case, but wondered if causing them to grow more to get to the light could be of benefit. At the moment, I Have rum out in the garden during the day, then bring them in at night to avoid any frost. Would I be right in thinking that plants grow the most at night when they arn't photosynthesising? Would they Also be best to be abut shaded perhaps? And why is this better than them receiving direct sunlight?

Many thanks

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”