Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

English Walnuts

I did a seed swap with a friend, and he was going to send me some english walnuts, that I could put into a pot of leaves, and let them sprout, and then plant them up.

I told him, a few!

I got a baggy with 10 with roots already, and 12 more, looking like they will root in a week. I am thrilled of course, but how do I save them?

Oops, I am not ready, I still have trees standing in the orchard!

I am thinking a large barrel full of dirt to let them start off in. How large of a container should I use?

What do you think? Am I better off to put these in a pot to grow, or simply plant them in the ground and later dig them up?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's been awhile since I tried to grow an English walnut, but as I recall, they develop a deep taproot. If my memory of that is accurate, I think the trees would do better grown in pots, like they do at nurseries. Trying to dig up one that has been planted in the ground, in order to move it elsewhere, will almost surely break the taproot. JMO. :)

The ones I tried to grow had been planted by the squirrels, almost always under one or another of my rhodies. When I tried to move them, the taproot broke. That's why none of them succeeded for me, I'm pretty sure. :(

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”