apple799
Newly Registered

Please help me to identify this tree

Please help me to identify this tree. Thank you for your help!

https://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052806/IMG_2992.JPG
https://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1052806/IMG_2993.JPG

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It looks like a paper white birch to me, but as I've mentioned before, I'm not greatly skilled at ID-ing trees. I do have 3 paper white birches in my back yard, though. :)

apple799
Newly Registered

Thank you for your info!!

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Your photos aren't great for identification, not enough detail, but I think it is Betula pendula the European White Birch rather than our native Paper Birch. I can think of a couple other possibilities: Betula platyphylla, Asian White Birch or maybe Betula utilis var. jacquemontii, Whitebarked Himalayan Birch. None of these are at all common around here because of the borer issues and without good closeups of the leaves, bark and catkins that is as close as I can get.

uniquegardenplants

MaineDesigner is right, appears to be a Himalayan White Birch. Betula u. jacquemontii. Beautiful tree but birch borers are really doing a number on them. unfortunately not a long lived tree because of this problem.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

uniquegardenplants, welcome to this site and thanks for the gentle correction. I can't speak for the site owner or the moderators but from my perspective more competent professional voices are welcome and needed. I looked at your site and I hope you'll get into a broader range of unusual woody plants. Since Arborvillage in Missouri closed there aren't many east coast options.

uniquegardenplants

Thank you for the kind words MaineDesigner. The website is a constant work in progress, My team and I add new plants daily. There is a section for unusual and oddball woody's that is ever expanding!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”